Sunday, November 24, 2013

New School.

I recently moved to a new city within Gwangju that is about a 40 minute bus ride from everywhere. It is almost in the middle of no where. I like it here. It's peaceful.

I feel like I can fit in here. Everyone is supportive and appreciates my role here. The students here speak better English then at my former hagwon. They are also older. This is an area of town where most of the middle class live so students are not as insane. The students aren't as spoiled here. The other place I lived is where all the rich people lived so I guess that the children received no rules on how to behave properly.

This program here is also much better. This hagwon focuses on speaking and writing. There are occasional speech contests. The former teacher was here for two years. That is quite a good sign for a hagwon. I was even told to record my classes. The other teachers would offer me constructive criticism about the teaching of my classes. I am even teaching three adults on their speaking skills. The material that I need to teach is straight forward. The classes should be interactive. I think that is the most difficult part since I have to apply the learning of the material with games and activities. It's harder then it looks.

I have even been invited to hang out with the teachers for lunch and dinner. I was asked to go out to dinner with two of my co-teachers and I acted so excited. One of my teachers told me to calm down. It was because I was so excited. I have never been invited to go out for dinner with my co-teachers before.

This is a good start to my new life in Korea. Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment