Sunday, November 24, 2013

I'm finally moving on....

Hello.

I AM OUT OF THAT HELL HOLE OF A HAGWON!!! I am so happy. I can almost move on except for a couple of things.

I had to go back to that school one last time to pay my last rent. I did not want to go but I had to since I had no way of transferring any funds to her Korean bank account from an ATM. I had to give her the money in person because this was the only was I could pay for it.

Anyway, that same day I went on a trip to immigration with my new director. She was told by the immigration officer that she needed tax information from my former school. OK, fine. She offered to take me back home and said we would we would have to come back another day. I said I needed to visit this school to pay my last rent. She thought it would be faster to get tax information from my former school directly so we went in the school van to a city about 40 minutes away.

I was greeted with cheerful glee from the principle and the director but this was Korea. The last person that they wanted to see was me and this was not how they really felt about me. They were saving face. They served us tea in fancy cups. They talked for a long time in Korean while the principle was getting the tax information. Obviously, I could not understand anything. It was another game of charades in order to try and grasp anything they were talking about. I had fum imagining this witch with a lions mane all over her face. I knew her true nature. I don't know what I would be doing if my currently director wasn't with me.

There was a moment when my director had to step out briefly to take a phone call. I still was sitting there drinking tea out of this fancy cup. Suddenly, I noticed that their shadow was cast over my teacup so I looked up and noticed they were both standing over me with their evil grins. "Are you happy?" they asked. "Yes." I said with a unsettling nod. What were they trying to get at? It was then that I was grateful for a language barrier. I don't know what other threats she could of said to me.

The director said that she would withhold my last paycheck. Om....I thought you had already paid me? I was told before I left that she would put that deposit in my bank account right away. I fixed and mailed this phone back to this school. I did not trust this lady to pay me back but she did.

 I want to tell you the story of this phone. I dropped this phone on the floor and broke the screen a week before my contract ended. I was terrified. I was scared of how this women would treat me. I spent some time looking for a place to fix the phone but no one knew where I should go to fix this phone. The only place that I knew and trusted by other foreigners did not have any matching screens for this brand of phone. I was at a loss to where I could this stupid phone fixed. As I was trying to figure this out, I left it on a bus the following week. I tried to say that the phone was stolen since I didn't know if the phone was going to be returned to me after losing it. Well...several phone calls later with the help of a Korean friend calling this lost phone, the phone was returned to the bus station by some random Korean man. I bet if this screen was not broken, he would of kept it. Whatever. I went to pick up this phone. This trip was about 40 minute taxi ride. I had to leave around 8AM  and arrive back to work by 11AM in order to leave enough time to be at work the same day.

I gave the "stolen" phone with the address and the money to fix it to the director. I thought I was off the hook. Next, my co-teacher tells me that she wants to have dinner with her. She does not want to leave on bad terms. Well, the dinner never happened and how was going to communicate to me? I already had plans...

The lesson is that you should never agree to use a companies cell phone. I can finally move on.

No comments:

Post a Comment