Friday, August 9, 2013

Deep Learning Curve....

I am finally here....in Gwangju, South Korea!

Many things have happened since my arrival in South Korea. It is hard to describe them all because there are so many of them. I still can't believe I am here. This is too unreal.

It all started on the airplane. I was assigned to sit next to this Korean women named Hannah. She immigrated to Seattle from Korea when she was young and had been living there for at least 25 years. She is the only one out of nine siblings to stay in America this long. She was traveling back to Korea after nine years to visit her parents. Soon, we both realised that we were going to be traveling to Gwangju. What are the odds? I had officially made a new friend without having arrived yet in Korea!

I arrived to the airport and had the adventure of carrying four pieces of luggage with me. A cart fixed that. It was free of charge! I had the advantage of going through the Korean Immigration line with Hannah. I missed the long line of newcomers. Hannah and I parted ways. Till we meet again.

The next task was to find my taxi driver so that they could take me to the hotel for the night. I thought this guy was my taxi driver since he was standing behind the sign with my name on it but he told me no. I tried to talk to this other person but they could not understand me. I knew there would be a language barrier so I took the sign assuming that could gain the attention to anyone who cared. It worked. It was an older lady with leopard stockings and a dark green shirt with pumps. Taxi drivers are allowed to watch television as they drive. She understood no English so it was a quiet ride to the hotel. Near the end of the trip, she got lost for a few minutes. We finally managed to arrive at the hotel. She told me something with the number 1 to find the hotel floor but that was not quite right. I must have looked crazy for carrying two large baggage's and one small one as well as an XL backpack. It was quite a chore trying to pack three pieces of luggage into that tiny elevator. I could not get out the last piece of luggage out fast enough before the door closed on me. Really? I had to scavenge for it but I still was not on the right floor. One of the hotel clerks must of called the main desk because I was finally found and taken to my room. He could speak English. Language barriers are no fun!!!

Next, I was picked up by Jenny. She is the recruiting manager that hired me. She had a strong Australian accent but she could never tell. She drove me to the headquarters for one day training. I met some other Koreans who held high positions such as a new director, manager as well as a new regular teacher. I had my first Korean lunch on the first day of training. I was very hungry so I only used a spoon to eat all this rice and omelet cakes. I was told to use my chopsticks as well. I would of but I had not eaten since last night. Even the Koreans were surprised how well I had eaten all the food so fast. Spoons are amazing. One of the older ladies wanted to hook me up with her 18 year old son. I took it was a compliment. I also paid no regard to her comment. Haha.

Training consisted of observing all types of classes and learning the basic outline of the entire school system. It is a private hagwon academy for young children so their parents pay a lot to send their kids here. I took notes on all the classes I observed. It was a lot of information but I think I could handle it for now. All the native English teachers liked their jobs at least. I was to leave that night by train to Gwangju.

So, off I go to travel some more. The trip on the train was four hours long. I slept the entire way. I arrive to meet the principle of my school. She spoke no English. Of course! She drove me to my apartment. It was here where she attempted to describe the different places around Gwangju. At least I learned where the hospital was located. We arrived at the apartment. My fridge was already partially stocked with food. She had already bought me fruit, water and some bread! Koreans know that Westerners eat bread as a staple. The bread is not surgery!! She described all the various ways to take advantage of the apartment such as the lights and air conditioning. I have my own television but I probably would not use it since it would only play Korean television. No worries though. I can't get it to work. The space is very small but it is perfect for a single person. I still wonder why brought so much stuff with me for such a small space.

I had two more days of training this week. I learned how to teach the various lesson plans for all the age groups. I often forget that these kids are so young since they are learning some difficult material. I got to teach my first class today with five year olds. I had fun with it. Two of the kids gave me a hug after that class. It made my day! All the teachers here are very helpful.

Next week, I will be preparing to teach kindergardeners for the first time on my own. I will spend this weekend preparing for that. The lessons are up to me. I can set my own rules. Yikes but I'll have fun with it.

Until next time....

 

2 comments:

  1. Great job Britt, hve a great adventure in Korea, visit my blog and leave a comment if you want!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My favorite line from this story: "Spoons are amazing." I can just picture you trying to get out of the elevator before it gobbles you & your luggage up. This is such a hilarious adventure! (Now, when you can look back on it.) Please keep writing. I'm glad you have the television now because it will be your language tutor and keep you entertained.

    ReplyDelete